Saturday, July 7, 2012

Wimbledon Roll Models

Roger Federer beat Novak Djokavic in four sets to advance to the final against Andy Murray at Wimbledon.  It was a pleasure to watch.

It was a pleasure because these two guys are among the most sportsmanlike individuals working in any sport today.  I mean in the manner of good, old-fashioned good-sportsmanship.  There was no exulting at every point won, no cursing line calls that went against them, and certainly no bumping each other on the turnarounds.  These guys are gentlemen, pure and simple.  I love these guys. 

Andy Murray has learned slightly better manners in the last year or so, but he has a long, long way to go.  I hope that it's not too much of a contrast in the final, although I wouldn't be above taking some guilty pleasure in watching the English get embarrassed, at their own game, so to speak.  (How the English got a reputation for gentlemanliness is beyond me, I just don't see it.) 

Congratulations Roger, and don't worry Novak.  You've got a future in this tennis business. 

No comments: