Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Big Youth - Hit The Road Jack -


Featuring the Big Youth Band! 

Today I was walking home from school, singing to myself, as is my habit when no one is around. I find that in these plague times, since we all have masks on, you can sing to yourself all you want. You can sing to yourself in a crowd. Ain't nobody sure it's you with everybody masked up. It's fun! Try it! 

I was singing the original demo of this song, as performed, drunk probably, by the writer, the great Percy Mayfield, the "Poet of the Blues." Ray Charles paid Percy for it, and made a great hit out of it. Played it Ray Charles Style. 

Here's the Youth himself having a crack at it! Playing it Big Youth Style. 

"What the world needs now is love, sweet love." I think that fella's right. 

No comments: