Sunday, June 27, 2021

Joni Mitchell - Little Green (Live NYC 1967)


I was actually playing Laura Nyro songs on YouTube when this showed up in the right column. I love Joni, so I clicked on it. I narrowed my eyes when the entrance to the Cafe au Go Go appeared, and then, sure enough, Joni enters wearing that silk outfit. This is the last thing that I ever expected to see again. 

I was there, probably this very night. 

This was a Monday at the Go Go. Monday was Pot-Luck, "Jam Night," something like that. The acts were blends of different bands, famous people trying out side projects, acts that some A&R man wanted to showcase (like Joni at this time). One Monday I saw a brand-new four-piece version of Blood, Sweat and Tears (no horns). One Monday there was a long jam featuring Eric Clapton and Frank Zappa, backed by half of the Muddy Waters band. That kind of thing. 

And this night, the first act was Joni, introduced as a "new sensation" or something. She walked in and took over the space. Charisma for days. She did a few songs, and that was it. I think that she also sang "Chelsea Morning." We were knocked out cold. 

This is a very nice surprise. My memory of that show is very clear, but I never, ever expected to see a good video of it in 2021. Amazing. That's fifty-four years ago. 

No comments: