Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Re: Below Post, "The Charlie Lau Swing"

This swing was the hot set up for a long time.  You basically take a short step into the ball and throw the bat into the strike zone to the spot where you expect the ball to be.  There's no real follow through, you let go with your back (top) hand almost immediately.  Like I said, it USED TO BE the hot set up. 

This year I'm seeing most guys hold onto the bat all the way through the swing, more in the style of Joe Dimaggio or Ted Williams.  They're hitting the cover off the ball too, this big swing delivers more power.   The Charlie Lau swing was a "hitting for average" swing. 

Changing fashions in baseball, always fascinating for the initiate.  I find that really understanding baseball is a little bit like belonging to a secret society.  People who have never played the game don't understand it at all, they have no idea what they are looking at.  I know how they feel; I feel like that when I watch cricket. 

No comments: