Wednesday, July 17, 2019

White Privilege Update


There is an article in the paper this morning about a black woman who thought that it would be interesting to ask white men straight out what were their thoughts about white privilege. From the tone and vocabulary of the article she appears to be an academic of some kind. She wondered, how would the answers differ in real-life settings from the typical answers in social science experiments? I didn't read the article.

I didn't skip it for lack of interest, but I have grown tired of white people's typical responses to such questions. Many white people just deny that there is such a thing, which is ridiculous on its face. Others who will allow that white privilege may exist claim that they have never benefited from it. This is also ridiculous. These are the reasons that I'm tired of reading about it, because they just make us all look bad, we white people.

I couldn't help thinking about what my own answer would be. My first challenge was deciding how different my answer would be if the questioner were black or white. The questioner in this case would be a black woman of the academic persuasion, so I'm pretty sure that my answer would tend towards the apologetic to some degree, with a touch of exculpation. If the questioner were white, I would tend more towards the educational type of response.

The existence of white privilege is beyond dispute. Let's face it, it's right there in front of us, big as life, still functioning every day like a well-oiled machine. Every day, in thousands of ways, there are distinct benefits that accrue to white people. Applying for jobs; shopping in retail outlets; enjoying public facilities like parks or pools; dealing with government entities or, God forbid, police; entering public buildings or elevators; or even entering the building that you live in; you're experience is greatly enhanced by being white. Your personal security is greatly enhanced. This is white privilege, and like it or not, you're stuck with it.

My personal feelings about white privilege include a certain amount of relief, certainly, because the possession of an advantage requires one to be somewhat grateful. I am thankful, for instance, that I need not fear for my life upon being pulled over for a traffic violation. (Not unless I start shooting my mouth off, anyway. White privilege is a rebuttable presumption.) My feelings also include, however, a good deal of embarrassment and even some resentment. Why, pray tell?

It's embarrassing because the very existence of such a thing is a constant reminder that humanity is still much closer to the mud than to enlightenment. White privilege is proof that human society, the whole of it, remains largely an ignorant exercise, tribal in character, lacking in common sense and human decency, and markedly primitive. Don't let your iPhone and your fancy clothes fool you, you damned dirty ape.

I resent white privilege because a) I hate it; and b) I have no choice but to accept it. It exists, even though I had no vote in the matter, and I benefit, whether I like it or not.

And here's the resentment that I hate the most. Because it exists, and because I benefit from it, anyone who does not enjoy white privilege looks at me with hostility and resentment to one extent or another. They can't avoid it altogether, and many feel the hostility and resentment with great vigor. White privilege exists because white people have spent the last millennium dominating non-white people by violence and exploiting their labor and their resources with great ruthlessness. This pattern continues today, although now generally disguised with a smile and self-described “good intentions.” Imagine the fury, indignation, and hilarity with which black Americans must greet assertions that America is now a “post racial” society where people rise or fall on their own merit, regardless of race. That, dear reader, is poppycock, notwithstanding the existance of a dignified, successful, black two-term ex-president.

So I cheerfully admit that my own feelings about white privilege are ambiguous. I grudgingly accept the benefits, but mostly I find the entire concept distasteful.

No comments: