Sunday, December 23, 2012

Nat King Cole Christmas

This song makes me cry.  It's not unique in having that effect on me, but it works every time, it's got that going for it. 

I've said it before: one of the amazing things about Black American singers is how they can take material that is unremittingly positive and sing it with a tear in it, just dig in on those flattened thirds and fifths and blues up the whole thing.  Mr. "King" Cole sings the hell out of this song, he owns it, and he creates a stark contrast between the benign nature of the words on the printed page and the sound of the song as he sings it.  It's great art, it what it is. 

I have to check, I may have posted this song last year too, probably with almost the same commentary.  But then, I've always been famous for repeating myself.  I have a very facile mind, and I'm quite adept at figuring things out in the first place, but in some ways my memory leaves something to be desired.   I don't find it to be a problem though, for one thing I can more easily enjoy re-reading books every five years or so, or watching movies over and over again.  Besides, how many of you actually saw last years post, if there was one? 

No comments: