Thursday, November 12, 2020

Manfred Mann Sha La La


I always avoid saying "better," or "the best," when it comes to versions of a song. It depends on the individual, or even on the mood of that individual on a given day. It is, in other words, subjective. 

I like both of these versions. The producer on this version chose to move the hook way up. It's much more prominent here, in fact, the hook opens the song in this version. I like the loping beat in the Shirelles version, the horn charts, and the entire feel of it, but I recall at the time loving the way the English lads played these songs louder and faster, with the instrumental array stripped down to the essentials. 

This is why I love cover versions. There can be as many good versions of a song as there are acts to produce them. 

No comments: