Monday, March 2, 2020

tricot "potage" MV



"Where all men think alike, no one thinks very much." That's a quote from Walter Lippmann, who was a genuine public intellectual back when there were such things. On the surface, Japanese life seems rigidly conventional, and it often appears that many of them do think alike. If contemporary Japanese music is any indication, nothing could be further from the truth. 

This is a currently working band, and I like their music a lot. The music is referred to as "math rock," and I think that that is probably true, much of the time. For a real answer to that question, please ask an expert. 

I have one thing in common with Mr. Lippmann and one of his two wives: I have decided that I will never visit Japan, and that is a comfort to me. That might be two things in common. As much as I love Japanese movies, paintings, language, architecture, and especially Japanese pop music, I have no desire ever to go there. I think that it would be too overwhelming. 

No comments: