Saturday, March 7, 2020

Poet - Sly and the Family Stone



Or maybe just Sly. The rumor in the comments is that Sly put this cut together alone, writing and playing the whole thing. From the album, "There's a Riot Goin' On." It wouldn't surprise me if Sly bunkered up and yelled, "I got this!" if anyone knocked on the door. If I recall, Sly was busy pissing everybody off throughout the sessions for this album. I think that the whole album is a masterpiece. The band kind of broke up in the aftermath, but look for the good. That's how we got Graham Central Station!  

Which proved one thing to me. Cocaine is good for some people, but only for a year or two. Remember that folk song? "Cocaine's for horses, it's not for men. Doctor said it'd kill me, but he didn't say when." Well if you've got the money, about two years ought to do it. After that, any benefit that might have showed up in your art dries up. Sly learned this lesson the hard way. If you weren't careful, your money is gone, your talent it gone, your career is gone, gone, gone, gone. It's a sad story every time. But then again, I'm just sentimental. 

No comments: