Saturday, September 14, 2013

New Yorkers Like To Complain

Here's one that I directed to the Samitivej Hospital in Bangkok:

"There were two problems with my recent treatment. 

1. After I requested a dermatologist,a nurse was allowed to override this and direct me to surgery.  This is not the role of a nurse in modern medicine. My complaint was clearly one for a dermatologist;

2. The doctor in surgery merely treated my symptoms, without making any diagnosis at all, which would have required a dermatologist. Proceeding without a diagnosis seems like 19th Century medicine to me.

As a result, the symptoms were temporarily alleviated, while the condition went unaddressed.  It persisted for a further two months.  My own immune system finally overcame the condition, but it was a painful two months. 

I had no desire to return for follow ups, preferring to address the symptoms myself.  It was not rocket science.  I diagnosed myself with the help of the Internet, and my diagnosis has been confirmed by a dermatologist.

This is not the kind of treatment that one expects from Samitivej."


Samitivej is generally a good place, and it is one of the most highly regarded hospitals in Thailand.  It is considered "Farang style," and many of the doctors are board certified in America. 

I have since transferred my business to a smaller outfit close to my condo, the Ramkhamhaeng Hospital.  So far I am most pleased with my dentist and my dermatologist, they both speak English quite fluently and do a great job.  It's a safe place, American insurance companies send patients for treatments ranging from joint replacements to cardiac procedures.  Cheaper too, Samitivej is quite expensive (for the local market). 

Oh!  Those New Yorkers!  Complain, complain, complain!  I complain, therefore I am. 

No comments: