Thursday, September 19, 2013

Holding John Lennon Up To The Light

I just heard this song in a restaurant and it elicited the usual response from me.  A resounding "oh, cut the bullshit."

John Lennon was a good songwriter, I said "good" advisedly, but in every other way he was a bad person.  He was bad to his friends, bad to his band, bad to all of his wives and girlfriends, and bad to his children.  Very bad to Julian, and if he hadn't suddenly died he'd have been bad to Shaun as well.  It's not a difficult prediction, he was bad to everybody.  You wouldn't have wanted to meet him, he'd have mocked you severely and probably thrown up on you. 

And this "Peace" stuff was all total bullshit.  It's all conclusory, he presents only the conclusion that peace is where it's at and we should all just love each other!  Just like that!  Like it was simple!  Just take the advice of the genius, John Lennon, and decide right now to love your fellow man!  Wow, why didn't I think of that? Imagine all of the people involved in all of the world's conflicts in all of the world's countries suddenly striking a palm to their foreheads and saying, "Sweet God of mercy!  It's so easy!  I just need to love this person that I was trying to kill a minute ago!"  Oh, excuse me, no crying out to God, because religion has to go too.  And property.  Then we'll have peace! 

In his own mind he was much too great a genius for the persona of "rock star" to hold.  He started out wanting to be Elvis and ended up wanting to be Gandhi.  Gandhi on heroin. 

He was a good songwriter, and a fair guitar player and singer, and he performed well for a few years there in a good band.  Revolver, Rubber Soul, Sgt. Pepper's, and maybe even Imagine, were great albums.  But let's face it, in the final analysis, he was no Paul McCartney. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, It's just you. Although I have to admit I’m a little weary of Imagine myself. The melody is really pretty dull, and, as you suggest, its’ message is the stuff of dreams, not reality.
I remember it being played at the opening of the 2006 Winter Olympics and thinking that probably not many listeners would really embrace the ideas of “no countries” and “no religion.”
I suppose it’s supposed to be a hopeful song about a beautiful future, but, it’s a sad song in way, because we know it’s only a dream. The tragedy comes from a feeling that the desire to live in peace is a deeply held wish of the better angels of our nature, and is within our capabilities; but won’t be attained- so near but yet so far.
I have to admit though, that it’s a beautiful dream, worth aiming for, even if it’s unattainable. I still dream of riding in the Tour De France, and that for sure ain’t happening, but striving for it is generally healthy. And I’m not sure that any big songwriter since then has written anything better-world peace-wise. (although I wouldn’t really know since I stopped gave up and stopped paying attention in about 1977)
As for Lennon being an A-hole personally, I didn’t know it but it doesn’t surprise me. Great performers sometimes are; Dylan, Sinatra, Lance Armstong, OJ. (as a Football player, not as an actor) Perhaps I’m callous and indifferent, but I long ago gave up caring much about what artists or politicians do in their personal lives. Unless they actually kill somebody, and try to escape in White Ford Bronco, I’ll still plunk down my $8 for their CD. (actually, as you know I steal all my music now)
For this reason, I guess I would not have been much of a lawyer, certainly no Johnny Cochrane. My entire defense at the OJ trial would have been; “Judge, this man gained 2003 yards in only 14 games-the defense rests.”
As for the case of Lennon vs, McCartney, I’d say they were both terrific songwriters. I’ve never studied who really wrote each Beatles song, but I’m pretty sure they both wrote some great ones. However, post-Beatles I think I prefer John. I love Paul and The Wings were a fun band with some rockin songs, but they were nowhere near as thought provoking or poignant as Lennon’s best solo stuff. (granted there were some flops too)
Paul did Maybe I’m Amazed, My Love, Band on the Run, Live and Let Die, and Silly Love Songs. Fun. I'd sure play Uncle Albert at a party instead if Imagine. And Paul seems to be a nice guy. But, in terms of visceral feel and total impact, I don’t think his songs really stack up to Lennon’s God, Instant Karma, or Working Class Hero.

fred c said...

I know that I stepped on some toes here, and I'm sorry about that. I'm just too sensitive about people getting way too much credit for their accomplishments. (Freud reference) About the "bad" thing, I'm furious when I think of Julian's life, abandoned, ignored and disinherited. For me, that alone did it.