Sunday, February 10, 2013

Translation By Bing

When my Thai friends post something on Facebook they very often add the option of seeing a translation by "Bing."  I recommend reading these, it's some of the funniest shit on the Internet.

For instance, a post by a student of mine was translated as follows:

"See deity blessing wanting back to the wild child.  Life teen age working excessively cruel repairman."

I am a lazy student, and although I can get around pretty well on a daily basis speaking Thai my reading comprehension is very limited.  And, I do not readily leap at opportunities to spend fifteen minutes with my dictionaries.  Luckily, my student chimed in quickly and told me what she had actually said, as follows:

"I'm watching a Thai drama (soap-opera) on Channel 3 and it makes me want to be a child again.  Being a teenager and a working woman is so cruel."  

Makes a lot more sense when she explains it.  So translation by Bing is still an inexact science.

This is an opportunity for all of you entrepreneurs out there!  Internet translation software!  Just borrow some money from mom and dad and start an internet translation company!  The need is there, the market is there, and Bing sure isn't up to it. 

No comments: