Thursday, June 10, 2010

It's Gonna Work Out Fine - Ike and Tina Turner



1961 was the year of Camelot and all of that, that Vaughn Meader comedy albumn, "The First Family." It all seemed very modern, and safe.

And now, my customary pitch for Ike Turner as one of the "Founding Fathers of Rock and Roll." Ike was the man (references to small behavior problems are unnecessary). He produced this cut, played the guitar, and it's his band, this was a hugely productive period for him, after more than ten years in the business, including the "first rock and roll record," "Rocket 88" by Ricky Berentsen.

Tina? Tina's okay, but let's face it, were it not for Ike, Tina would be remembered locally as that really rude waitress down at the dinner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate Ike. I can't remember a year I didn't adore Tina. Ike's that mean bastard teacher that we all have in life, definition of love/hate continuum. Ha!

*star trek reference indeed

fred c said...

I always liked Tina too. I just hate it when she gets all of the credit.