Saturday, December 19, 2015

Shakespeare's Stars

"Men at some times are masters of their fates.
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars
But in ourselves . . ."

Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, Act 1, Scene 2

I generally try to deflect the blame to my stars, but I do accept that the fault may actually lie in myself.

By "my stars," I do not mean just the astrological value of my star chart.  I would include the sum of my early experiences.  Everything, that is, that came before any sensible cut-off after which it is okay to blame someone for their actions and omissions.

Shakespeare himself leaves some tension even in this brief quote.  The second sentence is direct and unequivocal, stating simply that the fault is ours.  The first sentence allows that at "some times," we may not be the masters of our fates.

Anyway, friends and neighbors, for all of you that have stuck with me through this last year, thank you very, very much.  Forgive me my trespasses, and I will do my dead-level best to forgive those who have trespassed against me.

Happy Holidays!  Which literally means 1) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year; and/or 2) Happy Hanukkuh or whatever holiday you celebrate at this time of the year.

Thanks for reading, and have a safe, healthy and happy 2016.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy whatever to you too. Keep the music coming! Thanks.