Monday, November 21, 2022

Our Town - Marshall Crenshaw


Marshall Crenshaw might have been too over on the mild side for the rockers, and too old-timey for the kids, and too proper for the hipsters, but he was a hit with me from the first listen. My little sister, God love her, told me in a letter, "you should listen to this guy . . . you might like him." She was right. 

He was one of those YouTube hold outs, you know, "NO MARSHALL CRENSHAW FOR YOU." He had his own web site where he was trying to sell the stuff. He gave up a few years ago, like many musicians, and figured that YouTube listens will drive sales for tix to live events. Which he excels at, by the way. 

I hope he's making a living. I doubt if he sold enough of these records to retire to a private-jet lifestyle. So many of these musicians have brought me so much happiness that I sincerely wish them the best of good fortune. 

No comments: