Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Call Me The Breeze


These guys are a guilty pleasure of mine. They have been since the beginning. This is a big outfit for a rock band, lots of guys playing instruments, and what I like most about them is that they've all got great clocks, they stay on those beats like their lives depended on it. They were TIGHT. 

Not that that is a prerequisite for greatness. The Rolling Stones, much in the news these days, had a different secret to the success of their sound. They were a bit spongy on the beat, but there was a logic to it. Bill Wyman described it in an interview long ago. "Keith sets the beat, he's the one keeping the time. Charlie is always a bit anxious, and he stays a bit ahead of Keith. I'm taking my cues from them, so I'm a bit behind. It gives us a slightly lopsided rhythm, but it's consistent. It makes us sound like the Rolling Stones." (I paraphrase, of course.) 

There are many roads to Rock and Roll paradise. 

No comments: