Monday, March 22, 2021

METERS Cissy Strut


I like drummers. I like 'em right up front in the mix. Featured players. This is Ziggy Modeliste, one of the top New Orleans drum legends. I like Ziggy a lot. 

It occurs to me that Ziggy and JD Beck are set in two moments of time that had a significant event occur between them. That would be all of that sample/ drum-machine music, techno, house, jungle, that stuff. Ziggy is the before. Ziggy is still around; he's four months younger than me and still working. This Meters material will always be his Golden Age though. 1965-1977, all before techno or computers. At the other bookend is Beck, who heard a lot of that machine-made music all of his life. 170 beats per minute sounds reasonable to JD Beck. 

I'm not making any value judgments. I like both of these guys. Just thinking out loud here. 

No comments: