Friday, January 15, 2021

Les McCann & Eddie Harris Compared To What


Les McCann was a versatile pianist and Eddie Harris was a unique and exciting sax player who attracted people to jazz who had never thought about it too much before. (Like me, for instance.) Both men have always seemed like real get-along, naturally friendly types. They also made sure to get their two-cents in about the struggle. I value all of those things, and I love the two of them very much. 

This cut was recorded live at the Montreux Jazz Festival in June, 1969. I don't know much about direct sound recording, but it does sound to me like a very good job with the relatively primitive soundboards that they were using then. 

What would America be without our black brothers and sisters? Not just the musicians and the athletes, I mean all of them. It would be dead-boring for one thing. We should be nicer to them, maybe take our knees off of their necks for a start. They didn't ask to come here, but they have been an important part of the fabric of America since the beginning. We should all try harder to make sure that they get the respect that they deserve. 

No comments: