Sunday, May 26, 2019

Love Look Away - Johnny Mathis



I discovered this song last year on KJAZ in Los Angeles. Leslie Odom Jr. was the singer on that occasion. I was floored, frankly, I pulled over to the side of the road and was ready to write when the back-announce came along. Interestingly, later that day I was able to hear Mr. Odom's version on YouTube, but ever since then it has disappeared into the "lock-box." 

I had never heard Johnny Mathis's version; I had never heard much of Johnny Mathis at all. I'm afraid that I had picked up the negative vibe on Johnny back then, even though in my conscious mind I was very accepting of homosexuals. Somehow I didn't take Mr. Mathis seriously. Well, I was wrong. He kills this song, and no one could say he didn't totally own it. Great job, Johnny. Sorry I was missing the boat back when you could have used the support. 

No comments: