Monday, December 25, 2017

Christmas Greetings, And A Burning Question



It's Christmas, and I've tried to be good about sending Christmas greetings in every direction, tried to be careful not to leave anyone out. And here it is, ten o'clock at night, on Christmas itself, and I realize that I have almost forgotten all of my dear readers!

Luckily for me, almost doesn't count in this game, and even luckier, I'm close to the west of the International Dateline, so in most of the world it's still rather earlier on Christmas day.

Merry Christmas, dear readers, and may you and your families be showered with the best that fate has to offer into the New Year and beyond. I deeply appreciate every precious minute that you spend with me here. To my way of thinking, Christmas is a secular holiday celebrated at the tail end of the calendar year when we all take a moment to say thanks to all of the family and friends who helped us to get through another year in this bloody hellhole known as the human condition. Thanks, and maybe a little token of our appreciation. Your consideration and small acts of kindness make our lives easier.

You may not think of it in these terms, but a decent hit-count is evidence of your consideration, and the occasional positive comment is a wonderful act of kindness. I do enjoy writing for its own sake, but it is a comfort to me to know that you are out there.

The question posed by this song has been a valid expression of puzzlement since it was first released, in what, the early 1980s? So many people seem confused on the issue, and so many of our fearless leaders seem to be clueless on the subjects addressed in the title. So really, now more than ever, a good question is: what is so fucking funny about peace, love, and understanding? If those things are too ridiculous to hope for, or even to discuss, much less to bring about, then what's the point? If those things are just some tie-dyed, lost Hippie dream, we might as well lock the doors and go home.

I'd love to live long enough to see some progress, but at the present it looks as though the odds are against me. Good luck, Millennials! The cup is being passed to you. You are a good group, quite energetic and sensible in your way, now go and cleanse the earth. And Merry Christmas!

No comments: