Saturday, November 5, 2016

P-51 Mustang - Flames on Start Up Rolls-Royce Merlin - Flyover

I love this plane in general, and I love the sound of this plane in particular.

I lived in Los Angeles for thirty years, and I often played golf at my neighborhood golf course, Penmar. We were right on the take off run below Santa Monica Airport, and we often had Mustangs taking off over us. That big Merlin engine, a 1750 horse power V-12, has a very particular sound. It's like a big internal combustion engine with overtones of something very strong ripping something very heavy.

It's a beautiful airplane, too. That was a great neighborhood to observe vintage aircraft, and I really miss it. Mustangs; Corsairs; current aircraft like Ospreys; a B-17! a Ford Tri-motor! It was a great show, and I really enjoyed it.

No comments: