Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Godzilla 2014: Second Viewing

Many times the first viewing of a movie is seen through rose colored glasses.  Watching movies like Godzilla, and loving them like I unabashedly do, the willing suspension of disbelief may obscure flaws in the movie that will become apparent in later viewings.  Nothing like that happened in this case.

The DVD became available this week and I got hold of one.  A nice letter boxed version.  I watched it on my Samsung flat-screen (not new, and only 26 inch). 

I still approve of the narrative, the characters and the dialog.

I still think that the new monsters are among the best in the canon and that the new Godzilla is epic.

I still think that it's a good movie, as opposed to merely a good Godzilla movie.  Only this one and the first one (original edit) are good movies in this unqualified sense.  (Well, maybe Rodan too.) 

The acting is very good; the direction is very good; and the story is excellent. 

I was a bit anxious about this movie before it was released.  I love Godzilla movies, almost all of them, and the thought of people playing with the character annoys me.  (It had been done before.)  It was a relief to me that this movie is reverential to the character and the spirit of the original. 

Additionally, it is a great movie. 

Gratitude.

No comments: