Saturday, June 22, 2013

One Of These People Is Still Alive

On the right is my friend Fad, who died earlier this month. 

This picture was taken almost three years ago in Rayong.  We were all staying with cousins of Fad's husband.  The old lady was delighted to tell me that she was "ninety-eight!  Almost 100!"  She laughed like she could hardly believe it herself. 

I found out at Fad's funeral that the old lady is still plugging along, a hundred and counting.  She still gets around a little, still has a sense of humor, and eats and sleeps okay.  She recently started wearing the adult diapers, but she doesn't seem to mind.  I have noticed that that cheerful attitude is common among those who make it to the upper reaches of old age.  I suppose that they're just so happy to have woken up this morning that the diapers don't seem like a big deal.

My own father is ninety-two, and he wears the things overnight and if he's going to be out of the house for a while, like if he drives himself to Walmart.  He just laughs about it.  Diapers-schmeipers, it's a great day.  "I woke up this morning, didn't I?" 

Old people know things.  My father told me something a couple of years ago, and I'm sure he didn't feel the same way about it when we were all young.   He told me about the two most important things in life:

1.  Don't sweat the little stuff; and

2.  It's all little stuff. 

If you woke up this morning, I suppose.

No comments: