Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Animal, Vegetable, or Mineral

The blood work from my annual check-up will be back soon, and I’m guessing that the doctor will once again tell me that I should be eating more vegetables and less meat. They can tell somehow. So I guess that I’ll be working on that goal again this year.

It always seems to me that my diet is richly varied, but maybe it only varies from “A” to “G” or something. That’s plenty of keys to vary a musical presentation, but maybe it’s different with food.

I recognize three food groups: animal, vegetable and mineral. They say we need these things. The mineral I try to stay away from, minerals per se anyway. I’m given to believe that there are minerals in everything, so I’m pretty sure that we can get the minerals that we need from our food. I mean it’s all atoms, isn’t it?

Animal food can be confusing, especially when it comes to dairy. I mean dairy is not alive, by any definition, but it came from an animal. Oh, another gray area, doesn’t some cheese contain bacteria? Or mold? The bacteria would be an animal. What about the mold? Maybe I’ll ask Professor Google. Some vegetarians eat dairy, maybe because nothing had to die (bacteria, and possibly mold, notwithstanding). Eggs present their own challenges to categorization. Nothing had to die, but if you give it time it’ll be walking around making noise. I eat both dairy and eggs; lets call them “animal.”

Anything that is neither an animal nor mineral is a vegetable. So, I’d say that my favorite vegetable is rice. Bread is a close second.

I do not often willingly partake of fruit. It doesn’t agree with me.

No comments: