Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Internet Movie Database Complaint

Don't get me wrong, I love the IMDB. I check stuff every day. It's great, a great service. But . . .

Today I got into some comments, and I felt like putting in my two cents. I forgot my password, so I went through the process of getting a new one, that all went fine. Then I was asked to "authenticate" my account. Or "verify" or something. To do that I was asked to either give them a credit card number or a cell phone number that was SMS capable.

The credit card thing, I'm sorry but that had my bullshit detector ringing off the hook. That's not going to happen, sorry. I tried the SMS route, but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

What possible reason could the IMDB have for wanting a credit card number? Comments are legion on the site, so have all of those commenters provided credit card numbers? Or are they just more tech-savvy than me (this is actually likely).

It's a small mystery.

No comments: