Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Asian Los Angeles


The other day I went out for dim-sum with my son (back, left) and a couple of his friends. I know the fellow with the hat for over fifteen years now, he's a good man, a good DJ, and a fine chef too. That's his new girlfriends on his elbow. That's his mom on the other elbow. Mom was born in Hong Kong; son born in San Francisco; second friend born in Taiwan. All are now firmly culturally American, with English language skills that are probably greater than the average "real" American, plus varying abilities to speak Chinese. (The girlfriend was born here, but she's lived in China and is also bi-lingual.)

People complain these days about immigrants, but in my experience any of the world's people make fine Americans. Asians in particular seem to love it here and fit in very easily. As far as I'm concerned, we have a lot of work to do here and I welcome you if you want to help us. Besides, we all came from somewhere, only the time frame varies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Quite the experience that Yum Cha cafe. Ollie