Saturday, November 12, 2016

That Thing The Other Day



November 11, 2016

Donald J. Trump got elected, and, I’ll admit it, weak-minded fool that I am, I went out and bought a pack of cigarettes. Marlboro Menthols! One or two packs ought to do it, before the fear of cigarettes returns.

At some point I’ll have to say something about President Donald J. Trump. It would be all exclamation points if I tried it now.

This has been very hard for the entire country. Me too, certainly; all presidential elections since 1980 have been very stressful for me. This election was a virtual civil war on social media for more than a year, with long-time friends taunting one another and demanding to be unfriended. Even worse were the friends of friends who would chime in with particular venom.

Now, three days after the election, it appears that an actual civil war may break out. One of my friends commented that it’s like 1968 all over again. I resisted the logic, but then I recognized the similarities. The emotions are strong; the two sides are widely separated; the facts are just horrible; violence has broken out; and the potential for ill is limited only by one’s imagination.

Quitting cigarettes is always a good idea, but now it might be a good idea to quit Facebook as well. Or at least leave it alone for a while. I saw a post on the ‘Book that sums up the danger: “Thank God for President Donald J. Trump! He’s going to save the inner cities and improve education! He’ll clean up Washington and make America great again!” If I see one more post like that I’m afraid that I’ll start screaming and not be able to stop. 

No comments: