Saturday, May 21, 2016

My Brother-In-Law Is A Reader

This month I paid a visit to my sister and her husband in Arizona. I like my brother-in-law; he’s a good little reader. In fact, he’s a BIG reader, the biggest reader that I know. He’s big in both volume and content. As a reader, to paraphrase Wes Montgomery talking about jazz, he “goes way up and stays there.”

Here are some book titles that I picked off of his shelves:

Schopenhauer-Essays and Aphorisms.

General Economic History, by Max Weber.

Theory and Application of Infinite Series, by Knapp.

Engineering in the Ancient World, by Landels.

The Peoples of the Hills: Ancient Ararat and Caucasus, by Burney and Lang.

Introduction to Semimicro Qualitative Analysis, by Sorum

A History of the Ostrogoths, by Burns.

Introduction to Theoretical Meteorology, by Hess.

Who’s Afraid of Schroedinger’s Cat? By John Gribbin.

A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism (Volumes One and Two).

Frederick II, by David Abulafia.

Mohammed and Charlemagne.

The Empire of the Steppes: A History of Central Asia.

Elementary Matrix Theory, by Eves

Teach Yourself Sanskrit (!!!)

Arabic Grammar (Two of them, big ones).

Towards a New Philosophy of Biology.


He has a science background, and he’s always been interested in history and languages. “Interested” sounds too mild; he swims pretty deep in his interests. Nice guy, too, and a good husband to my sister. All in all, he’s worked out pretty well for the family. 

No comments: