Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Uncle Floyd Show: Bones Boy and Skip


I'm a big fan of art that is low-brow and home-made. I find irreverence to be a big plus. This goes for music, visual arts, and performative arts. I find endearing art that might be borderline annoying, but which displays flashes of brilliance. The buy-in, for my approval, is that the artist, or artists, must exhibit a spirit of fun and enthusiasm. 

My little family and I lived in New York for only one year in the middle of the 1980s, and during that year I discovered the Uncle Floyd Show. I can't recall exactly how that happened, and it does not seem likely, given the fact that the show appeared at six o'clock on a bare-bones UHF channel from New Jersey, an on-the-cheap PBS channel. Channel 68? Something like that. How I stumbled onto that channel and this show on the shitty little black and white TV with rabbit ears in my mother's kitchen, after I had invited myself, my then wife, my two sons, and my dog, to move in with them for a year so I could finish up my BA, is something of a mystery. 

I've been checking YouTube for a long time, and never found anything much, barely a mention. Now, suddenly, there's a lot of it. It still rings all of my bells. 

No comments: