Thursday, April 2, 2020

Gil Scott-Heron - 'I'm New Here' (official video)



Here's another very nice song by a cherished veteran. There's a message here, for sure, but I'm not so sure that it's the message that Brother Gil thought it was. 

Because that's just the nature of things, you know, by the time you turn around, everything is new again and you don't know what's happening at all. So in one way, hey, Boomer! when was the last time that you felt like you comfortably understood what the fuck was going on? And in another way, when I listen to the new Dylan song I understand all of the references. People younger than x-years-old are in the dark about a lot of it. Old Bob drops in "don't let me be misunderstood," and dozens of others. That "Murder Most Foul" should have footnotes for the uninitiated.  

No comments: