Friday, January 10, 2020

The Damned - New Rose



There was a time when I had a room dedicated to what could generously be called "music." Some amps and guitars, a bass with an amp, a keyboard, a drum kit. If there was no one around, which was the usual if it was a weekday, I'd play along with records. I had a Technics turntable that I'd plug into the left channel of my Roland Jazz Chorus 120, lots of energy there. I usually played my Telecaster hybrid, a "transition" job made in mid-1966. The factory was already CBS, but they were still making guitars with components made when Fender was Leo's. I'd put a Gibson pickup in the neck, and I liked that sound. You could still get some quack in it from the maple fingerboard. My main amp was a Soldano Atomic 16. All tube, with four knobs: master volume; pre-amp volume; treble; and bass. I loved to play along with this song. Guitar or with the bass rig, nice and loud. 

I'd play so loud sometimes that my ears would be ringing for two days. That, plus all of my high-voltage headphone listening, plus all of the concerts that I attended, I'm amazed that I can hear at all. Very little apparent  damage, though. Like most geezers, I have trouble picking individual voices out of the ambient noise in a mall or something. Very little whistling, no pain at all, and in clear conditions I can hear very well. It's a rock and roll miracle! 

I still put the Damned in first place for "Greatest Band Name," and "Damned, Damned, Damned" is the clear winner for "Best Album Name." This is one of my favorite songs. 

No comments: