Sunday, October 27, 2019

The Misplaced Emphasis On Happiness


It is apparent to even casual observers that many people are desirous of being happy. They make no secrets about it, and they offer no excuses for the longing. Either by implication, or in so many words, they are admitting that they are not happy. They feel the need for it so strongly that they are willing to make other people unhappy in their attempt to get happy. They buy books that claim to describe pathways to happiness; legions of other people write such books. The books, I'm afraid, rarely make their readers happy, although writing the books often makes the authors prosperous. Many people conflate prosperity with happiness, but it doesn't always work that way.

This obsession with happiness makes me wonder: do the seekers believe that the rest of us are happy? What do they believe? Do they think that human beings are entitled to happiness? That happiness is the natural condition of humans? Myself, I wonder if anybody is actually happy. I mean, any non-mentally-disturbed person, anyway.

Most of the people that I have ever observed have not seemed to be happy. This has always been true, and I have spent my entire life in several of the world's largest cities. My fellows, most of them, were just trying to get through the day. If wearing a mask of cheerfulness made getting through the day easier, well, they, we, wore one. We accepted life as an acting job; the role was to appear satisfied. To appear well adjusted to, and accepting of, the pile of offal that we all had to wade through every day. This was, and remains, true for groups that I know well, like family and friends. Under a thin veneer of good will, most of them are bundles of negative energy waiting to explode.

I wouldn't say that there are no happy people in the world, but my strong hunch is that their numbers are not great. I have seen, or casually known, a few people who might actually be happy, but they could just have been successful actors. Of the people that I have known very well, one or two may have been close, but there have been no clear winners. There must be happy people in the world. I realize that. I also realize that my inability to even imagine their happiness is part of my own unhappiness.

Another interesting category is worth mentioning. There are people who have achieved happiness through an almost miraculous act of determination. Through some kind of internal process they discover that they have the power to shape their own destinies. They do this in much the same way that a child that is subject to terrible nightmares learns to dream lucidly, thus ending the problem. They take control of their emotions and they decide, in some self-hypnotic Triumph-of-the-Will moment, to be happy. I had one such individual in my family. She was a wonderful woman, beautiful, smart, and funny. She was a great wife and a loving, nurturing mother. I have often said that having her in the family was like having a Hollywood star at all of our holiday parties. Her presentation was perfect. Her mask never cracked. You could see a feint vibration run through her if you looked carefully. You could notice the effort that was sometimes required. But mostly you could only see that she genuinely enjoyed her family life, and her children, every bite of food and every sip of a cocktail, every cigarette, and even every moment of her time spent with a melancholy nephew who appreciated the attention. I eventually understood the process that she employed, and I have tried my best to apply it to my own situation. Tried to manufacture my own happiness. My will, unfortunately, is not as strong as hers was. This in spite of, or because of, the fact that the circumstances of her childhood were even more horrific than mine. She survived a childhood that left one of her sisters a slightly crazy alcoholic bachelorette failed nun, and the other sister, my mother, a vicious alcoholic with a borderline-personality who devoted her life to making the people around her miserable. My sainted aunt survived their shared misery of a childhood and went on to be a blessing to her family and a beacon of hope to me, proving that early suffering can be overcome by tools that we all have at our disposal. Mostly, the power of our own wills.

There was a time when I wanted to be happy. For that matter, there was a time when I was, as we say in the law, “substantially” happy. That was when my boys were young, and my ex-wife and I more or less got along, and I was enjoying my role as husband, father, and friend to many. Between working and being a dad, I had little time left to worry. This relative happiness was a narrow window in time, and looking back I am glad that I enjoyed it as much as I did.

Happiness is overrated. That's my final judgment on the matter. Forget about it. Happy is for fairy tales. For human existence, try to maintain a state of calm alertness, a quiet awareness of your surroundings and what you are doing. Like a samurai, or a good dog. Keep your mind busy monitoring the mundane details of life. Just try to make yourself useful. Try to make other people's day a little easier for them to bear. If you have family close, try to make them happy. You'll be proud of that behavior, and that feeling of self-worth will calm you down. Try to comfort yourself, and definitely try to avoid making yourself miserable with negative ideation. Learn to spot your triggers and defuse them before they can do any damage. Try to focus on the task at hand, whether it is laundry or washing the dishes, or whatever. Enjoy your meals. Get enough sleep, and enjoy that as well. Read for pleasure or education, and I mean thousands of words at a time, not the short bursts that you get from social media or the Internet. Read something meaningful, whether it's about something important or just a good story. Watch a good movie. Take care of yourself.

Stop worrying about happiness. If you can do that, you might approach the condition that you were aspiring to in the first place.

No comments: