Friday, April 27, 2018

Otis Taylor - Hey Joe - Rare Photos



How would someone decide to try to wring something refreshing out of the 17,682nd cover of Hey Joe? I'd love to have a window onto that process.

This fellow does it, though. The whole thing is atmospheric and entertaining, and Mr. Taylor does manage to own the song. It's quite an accomplishment.

Otis is a new one on me. I've listened to a few cuts so far, and it's all good and there's a lot of variety to it. Somebody said in one of the comments, "Justified brought me here," so I suppose that Hollywood hipsters are putting Otis into their soundtracks. He's two weeks older than me, which is a drawback, but he was raised by a musical family that encouraged him, that's a big plus in life.

Interesting cover. Interesting guy.

No comments: