Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Nina Simone - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood



If only there were a God who could be petitioned with prayer.

November starts tomorrow, and I got a, what, a meme? on Facebook that said, and I paraphrase, ‘November is going to be your month! Great things will happen to you, your wishes will come true, and you will receive money . . .’ etc, etc.

I answered, 'thanks (redacted)! I know what I’m wishing for.' And I do know, and I am wishing for it.

My wish is expressed directly and sincerely in this song, in exactly the tone in which I would pray for it, if there were a God. The pleading tone in the song is directed at two or more listeners, as my prayer would be. Pleading with someone to understand, and pleading with God to force the issue.

But there is no God to listen, and people don’t listen. I’m pretty sure that most people my age no longer expect people to listen. We’ve long since learned that that almost never happens.


What is there left for a poor man to do but bend a knee and raise a wishful hand to no God, shouting through tears, “I’m just a soul whose intentions are good, oh! Lord! Please don’t let me be misunderstood!” 

No comments: