Sunday, March 27, 2016

El Dia De Suerte - Willie Colon and Hector Lavoe

This is from 1973. These guys are giants; this stuff was boss. This music is an intellectual challenge, and supremely danceable.

When I talk of the "Newyorican" cats I mean these guys. Puerto Ricans, without a doubt, but with the New York sensibility. (If I called it the "Fania Sound," my friend Jose would say that I was a racist!)

The subject of "underrated" came up about six weeks ago. This music is underrated, big time.

And by the way, this is not some kind of foreign music, some kind of illegal alien music. Puerto Ricans pay taxes like you and me; they have the vote (although not 100%); they got drafted and went to Vietnam like any other Americans. This is American Music, writ large.

If it takes a minute to work on you, please give it the minute. Maybe it was easier for me, back then. These guys had better (redacted) than anyone!

No comments: