Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Screamin' Jay Hawkins - Frenzy

People are discovering good music on TV and in movies, and that's a good thing.

The comments to this YouTube song often mention the X-Files, and me, I just heard it in the end titles for a True Blood episode. It's nice that producers and their minions are choosing good cuts for their products. I'm pretty sure that it's a good thing. Isn't it?

I've heard some good stuff in other media, and it's always a treat. I'm always on the look out. I knew Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich from the old days, but I'd never heard "Hold Tight" until I saw "Death Proof." "Everyday of the Week" by the Students was a revelation to me when I heard in in the end credits to a Sopranos episode. I was sure that it was a Frankie Lymon cut, it sure is a sincere copy, so it was hard to find. By the Students, it was, an F.L. and the T.s copy group from the near-mid-west.

There's so much great old-time stuff out there that it's hard to find the road map to finding it. If TV and movies can help, I think it's great. (Even if it's just a bunch of wannabe hipsters trying to find ways to look cool.)

No comments: