Monday, February 10, 2014

The Meters - Cissy Strut

Like that drummer?  (Playing on the Lee Dorsey cut.)  Want to hear him again?  Here you go!  Thanks to the 'Tube.

I don't believe in "the best," or even, "my favorite."  There's always room at the top for some quantity, and some variety too.  But Ziggy is definitely one of the best (most effective) kit drummers in history, I say that with confidence, and also definitely one of my favorite drummers.

That would be Joseph "Zigaboo" Modeliste, from way down yonder in New Orleans.  A few months younger than I am, so it turns out, he just turned sixty-five.   He's done a lot of great work, and should definitely be as famous as a lot of guys whose names you have right on the tips of your tongues.

But if life were fair, I wonder, what color would the sky be on that planet? 


No comments: