Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Chrome, Smoke, Fire, And The Failed Experiment



So I just got back from my annual trip to America.  I had only one thing that I really wanted to do on this trip, and that was to put some LP's onto a hard drive.  As so frequently happens, the Computer Gods had other ideas.

I did my homework before the trip.  I read about how-to, and researched the products that I found in the how-to articles.  I bought a new lap-top when I got there, I needed one anyway and the prices are about the same as Thailand.  I also bought the products and software that my research had led me to believe was 1) appropriate to the task; and 2) usable, i.e., susceptible of being figured out.  And oh, I tried it all every which way from Sunday and nothing, but nothing came even close to working as planned. 

Don't think that I would take my own word for such a thing, no, I did consult an expert.  My son Keith is on very good terms with devices in general, and all things at the intersection of music and computers in particular.  He couldn't get anywhere with the stuff I was trying.  At the break point he said, "well, you could buy an Apple lap-top, I've got everything you need and the Apple comes with Garage Band," but by then it was too late.  I didn't want to spend the extra hundreds and hundreds of dollars anyway. 


Chrome, Smoke and Fire

The pix are of one of my finer records, "Chrome, Smoke & Fire," a compilation of obscure old Hot Rod songs put together by Robert Williams.  That's his art all over the place.  I love Robert, and the songs are great. 

To console myself I looked up the songs on the album on YouTube.  People tell me that almost everything is on the 'Tube these days.  I was skeptical, but sure enough, four out of every five songs on this two record set were on YouTube.  Some included amazing old footage of Hot Rods in Los Angeles.  Several had been up for many, many years with fewer than a thousand hits, that's how obscure the stuff is. 

Believe me, I've got records that are more obscure than this one.  But I guess that YouTube has enough to hold me for a while.  At least until "they" pull the plug on all of this free fun we're having.  Does anyone expect that this Internet "free ride" will last forever?  Things that are too good to last, don't. 

No comments: