Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Good Story, Perhaps True

I read a nice, possibly apocryphal story about Ernest Hemingway yesterday.  

Here's the site: http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/babyshoes.asp

Somebody bet Papa, the story goes, that he couldn't write a compelling story using only six words.  Here's what he came up with:

"For sale: baby shoes, never used." 

Pretty good story, that. 

In the manner of the secret workings of the human brain I came up with one in a dream last night.  Here's mine:

"He held me down.  I'm okay." 

It was a terrible, disturbing dream all in all, but I won't get into that. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's the shortest story involving sex, mystery and royalty:

"The Queen is pregnant! Who did it?"

fred c said...

That's seven words! How about:

"The queen? Pregnant? Who did it?"

Nice story.