Thursday, October 21, 2010

Glenn Beck, Assisted

Mr. Beck did something annoying recently . . . alert the media! In a gratuitous attack on the entire concept of evolution, he sealed his argument with the statement that he had never seen a "half man, half monkey."

Here's one true thing that I, in my limited wisdom, can tell you for sure: humans did not evolve from monkeys. There is no genius in this assertion, because it is a simple fact, obvious to educated people and ignoramuses alike, that humans and monkeys currently inhabit the earth.

Humans and monkeys, and apes, all modern animals with lots of shared DNA, evolved from a common group of ancestors that are described as "lemur like creatures," something like umpteen million years ago. In the fullness of time, we became us, and the monkeys became monkeys, and I suppose the modern lemurs became themselves.

I am happy to be of service.

3 comments:

fred c said...

Now that I think of it, a monkey is kind of a half man, half lemur kind of thing, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I don't know...I spent a lot of time in Brooklyn and I could swear I saw many half-monkey/half humans dragging their knuckles around....

Anonymous said...

I'm half dinosaur, too.