Monday, May 17, 2010

Boomer Nostalgia: The Leggings.

It's the little things, remembering them, wondering sometimes.

I remember Navy boot-camp fondly, no, really! and sometimes I think I can remember every minute of it clearly. Watching a TV show recently, I was reminded that we wore those same leggings over our cuffs and shoe-tops, those heavy, lace-together canvas leggings. But I can't for the life of me remember where we stowed them when we weren't wearing them.

There was a place for everything, and everything had to be folded properly and stowed in its proper place. I remember the place for everything else, but what was the proper place for the leggings?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inside the boots?

fred c said...

No, we wore two pairs of socks, black over white, and we tucked our dungarees into the socks, "bloused" them, and then put on the big, high topped "boondockers" (cut like desert boots, but heavy black leather) and the leggings over everything, with stirrups under the shoes. They probably made us wear them for the exercise value of the additional weight, it's not like we spent a lot of time rumbling around the underbrush.