Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Mysteries Of Thai Language: Part II

On a related topic, I love one of the princesses, no, not like that, get your mind out of the gutter, I respect and admire the woman. She's a hard-working Royal, that rare thing in the world. I saw her on TV one time giving a speech in Vienna, all in great German and she hardly glanced at her notes, no prompters, great accent. She's so popular in China that they celebrate her birthday.

Her name is Princess Chakri Srindhorn, at least I thought so. I'll give it to you phonetically, "Srindhorn" is short for:

Som-det-pra-taep-pa-rat-da-na-raht-cha-su-dah-sa-yahm-baw-rom-ma-raht-cha-gu-mah-ree.

That's the full length, it means "daughter of the king." It's forty-two letters in the original Thai.

The genesis of this fantastic name is in the Royal language spoken by the Thai Royal family. Thai kings took it from the (relatively) ancient Royals of Cambodia, who were, in the time of Ankor Wat, the really big cheeses around these parts.

Forgive me, but I find this stuff fascinating.

2 comments:

Vince said...

Amazing name. I'd love to see having to give that name for a reservation.

fred c said...

Lots of regular Thais have names that go on forever, that's probably why they all have nicknames.

That makes another problem for reservations: lots of people have the same nickname. So if "Fatty" ("Oowan") makes a res, some other Fatty might claim it.