Saturday, March 7, 2009

Mi Ranchito, Mexican Food Veracruzando Par Excellence!




I’m in L.A. for a visit, and last evening I enjoyed the local cuisine at Mi Ranchito. After a few years of Thai food, it all seemed a little much.

I considered getting some impossibly small portion of something, but then I figured that I was on vacation and this would be my last opportunity for a year or so to get an old favorite, so what the heck. I had carnitas, with rice and beans, pico de gallo, and guacamole, with tortillas of course, plus a Mexican beer (“XX”). It was all very good, Mi Ranchito is the real deal, but afterwards I could hardly walk. Upon arriving home, I went to sleep almost immediately.

It was worth it. That was a meal that you couldn’t find in BKK. I’ve had “Mexican” food in Asia, but I’ve given it up because it’s always so disappointing. Although Mexican cooks in Los Angeles’ Thai restaurant kitchens seem to do fine with Thai food, Thai cooks in BKK’s Mexican restaurants don’t seem to get it at all.

I should stick with Thai food, which is generally available and very good in Los Angeles. Thai food is not only delicious, it’s easy on the stomach. In Thailand, I avoid Farang food like it was plague infested blankets, except for the odd pizza, and some of them are very odd indeed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sixty-year-old guts are none too hospitable to spicy foods and chilis anymore, Fred old man. You're lucky Monty Zuma didn't wreak havock on your entire plumbing system! Don't push your luck.
-Ed

Rory Cripps said...

HEY FRED: Did you two ex-Pointers go out for a beer? If you did, I would have loved to have been there for conversational purposes!HA!

Anonymous said...

Fred, I told you to look me up when you were in LA!

Ed