Sunday, November 9, 2008

Magic Johnson Is Not Who You Think

Magic Johnson is on Larry King. Evidently, he is still on the list of important Blacks to be consulted when something happens that is of interest to Black folk. This is always interesting to me, because, with the parting of only a very thin layer of fog, it’s easy to see that Magic is probably a murderer.

Oh! Slander! Beloved Magic!

I don’t mean in the same sense as one who would make a plan, dress appropriately, arm himself, and set off to his ex-wife’s house intending to kill her. That’s first degree murder, that’s bad stuff. But there is also second degree murder, among the definitions of which is homicide resulting from gross recklessness, behavior that anyone with half a brain should have known might result in the death of another, behavior like firing a gun into a family home. You may not have intended to kill anyone, but by god if someone is killed by the shot your ass is going to prison. And you earned the bid, too, nothing unfair about it.

Back in Magic’s salad days, the late 1980’s, Magic was famous for throwing parties for his friends at his Los Angeles mansion. I forget the little pet names they had for the mansion, or the parties, or the special sex rooms in the house, it was all very pre-Freudian and cute, little pet names for everything. These were sex parties, there were great numbers of women there, and they knew why they were there, they were available. I’m no puritan, I don’t condemn sex, not in any way in which two or three people are involved in a loving relationship, even a temporary relationship. But I do condemn brainless sex with multiple partners on a regular basis, when no one even knows each other’s names, and riding bareback no less, because these were real men after all, not inclined to take showers wearing raincoats. That’s just foolishness, and in the time of AIDS it was (is) reckless behavior with no regard for the safety of themselves or others.

In the Reagan/Bush era it was fashionable to think that AIDS was a disease of homosexuals and junkies, but everyone knew already that the wives and girlfriends of the homo’s and junkies were contracting the disease, and passing it along through heterosexual contact. Stupidity is not a defense to firing a gun into a house; it should not be a defense here. Magic got AIDS from one of the women at those parties, and could anyone believe for a minute that he didn’t pass it on to other women before he finally discovered that he was infected? If any of those subsequently infected women has died, that’s a strong case for a murder charge based on his reckless disregard for their safety.

What would I do if I met him? Smile and shake his hand, probably. He’s rich, after all. Everybody likes rich people.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

His johnson wasn't so magic after all!

Anonymous said...

Aw, Cripps, you couldn't talk like a nigga if your name was Leeroy.

Rory Cripps said...

Dear Anonymous (of Nov 11, 2008). Please don't associate my name with some of the comments re. "Magic Johnson Is Not who You Think". The comment that you are now reading is the only comment that I posted re. Magic Johnson. I'm at a loss to understand why you felt it necessary to write what you wrote--and if you think that you're funny, you're not.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: only putrid little lying punks that are afraid of their own shadows write under the cover of "anonymous". I bet that was the nicest thing anyone has said about you in a long time . . . so get down on your knees, right now, and thank me for the compliment. I'll be watching you boy, HA!

fred c said...

Anyone attempting humor should label it as such. I am very gullable.

Note Re The Power Of Magic: when the news first broke, Howard Stern played the hell out of "Would You Have Sex With Magic?" for about one show. It was hysterical, I had to pull over to the side of the road, I was laughing so hard. He was new in Los Angeles, and I became a fan immediately. It was pulled fast, and it was never mentioned or played again. I blame lawyers.